It can take a while to recover, physically and mentally, following a serious health event. For older adults who want to maintain their strength and independence, it is incredibly important to create and stick to a care plan after an illness or an accident. Choosing the right kind of follow-up care after surgery or a hospital stay will help give older adults the best chance of regaining their health and independence.
Physicians often recommend senior inpatient rehabilitation services as follow-up care after a hospital stay or surgery. A senior rehabilitation program aims to help older adults return to their maximum potential after a health-altering event. Senior rehabilitation providers work alongside therapy providers, such as physical or occupational therapists, rehab nurses and social workers, to achieve the best possible results for each senior.
When considering senior rehabilitation services, it is important to understand what the services do, their benefits and what to expect during a rehab stay.
A senior may need inpatient rehabilitation if they are recovering from a serious disease, major surgery or injury requiring continuous monitoring and care. In most cases, physicians recommend inpatient rehabilitation services if they feel this type of follow-up care will allow the senior to achieve the best possible recovery results. Inpatient rehabilitation can be provided in nursing homes, assisted living communities, skilled nursing facilities (SNFs) and long-term care communities. In addition, free-standing inpatient rehab centers are dedicated to providing this type of special care to seniors.
Inpatient rehabilitation centers are inpatient facilities where seniors receive acute care, including physical therapy, speech therapy, occupational therapy and other treatments designed to help seniors rebuild functional and cognitive skills following events like stroke, spinal cord injuries, brain injuries, hip replacements or similar conditions. Social worker support and neuropsychological treatment are also available in inpatient rehab centers.
Depending on the senior, the type of rehabilitation needed and the length of inpatient rehab stay varies. The severity of the senior’s condition and the senior’s overall health at the time of the health event are all factors considered when creating a care plan for a senior. In most cases, Medicare will cover senior rehab services ordered by a doctor and certified as medically necessary.
Benefits of Inpatient Rehabilitation
Treatment in an inpatient rehab center can help to improve a senior’s quality of life. During an inpatient rehab stay, a senior will receive specialized therapies focused on improving their physical and mental health while accessing social and recreational programs and activities. Inpatient rehab can also make life easier for a senior during recovery. Here are a few of the details about the benefits of senior inpatient rehab:
- Comprehensive treatment, therapies, social activities, nutritional coaching and emotional support all in one place! Traveling between facilities to receive all these services can be trying and laborious, but staying in an inpatient rehab center allows seniors to be comfortable and safe.
- A person-centered approach with personalized care plans and 24/7 care provided by professionals.
- Daily services and amenities that support physical, emotional and mental health. In addition to healthy meals and snacks, seniors in inpatient rehab can participate in social activities, relax in comfortable, home-like private rooms and participate in hobbies they enjoy.
- Inpatient rehabilitation centers are committed to helping seniors achieve their best-possible recovery results. With the amount of support and resources available, seniors receiving this type of care are more likely to recover quickly and achieve better outcomes.
At Rosewood Nursing & Rehabilitation, seniors can regain their mobility, strength and independence on their terms. Each care plan integrates the senior’s needs with the specialized treatments and therapies available. Residents at Rosewood have access to the following:
- An on-site nurse and physician
- Post-surgical treatments
- Extensive rehabilitation
- Medication management
- Dental and podiatry services
- Respiratory therapy
- Diabetes management
- Physical therapy, speech therapy and occupational therapy
- Restorative nursing
- Pain management
- Stroke rehabilitation
- Balance training
In addition to these services that support each senior’s health goals, the amenities at Rosewood help each resident to maintain a healthy lifestyle and enjoy daily activities until they are ready to leave inpatient care. These amenities include:
- Educational classes
- Private consultation
- Lifestyle and leisure programs
- Dining services
- 24/7 skilled nursing care
According to Medicare.gov
“You don’t have to pay a deductible for inpatient rehabilitation care if you were already charged a deductible for care you got in a prior hospitalization within the same benefit period. This is because your benefit period starts on day one of your prior hospital stay, and that stay counts towards your deductible. For example, you won’t have to pay a deductible for inpatient rehabilitation care if:
- You’re transferred to an inpatient rehabilitation facility directly from an acute care hospital
- You’re admitted to an inpatient rehabilitation facility within 60 days of being discharged from a hospital”
Medicare will pay part of the cost for inpatient rehab services if a doctor certifies that a senior needs intensive rehabilitation, coordinated care and continued medical supervision. After a senior meets their Part A deductible, Medicare can pay 100% of the cost for the senior’s first 60 days in care, followed by a 30-day period in which the senior will be charged a $400 co-payment for each day of treatment in 2023. Medicare-covered inpatient rehabilitation services include:
- A semi-private room
- Nursing services
- Prescription drugs
- Rehabilitation services, such as occupational therapy, speech-language therapy and physical therapy
- Other hospital services and supplies
Preparing for an Inpatient Rehabilitation Stay
When a senior is ready to enter inpatient rehab, it is time to consider which rehab center is the right choice. Here are some questions to ask to figure out if a center is a good fit:
- What services are offered?
- What do the treatment plans for residents include?
- What do the rooms look like?
- What is mealtime like?
- What training is required of the staff?
During an inpatient rehabilitation stay, seniors must get dressed for treatments and therapies each day and be prepared. Here are some ideas of what to bring when packing for an inpatient rehab stay:
- Non-slip shoes
- Comfortable, athletic clothing
- Pajamas, slippers and a robe
- Typical day-wear clothing (shorts if a senior has had a leg injury)
- Personal hygiene products
- Hairbrush or comb
- Makeup and facial care products
- Toothbrush and toothpaste (denture care if applicable)
One of the most important things to remember about inpatient rehab is that a very high level of involvement by the senior will be required for success; this is different than a hospital stay, where the senior primarily rests during recovery. Seniors go to inpatient rehab to regain their physical and mental health by participating in therapies and treatments designed to help their condition. Generally, seniors can expect to spend up to three hours or more daily on physical rehab treatments, five days per week. The harder a senior works, the better their results can be!
About Rosewood Nursing & Rehabilitation
Rosewood Nursing & Rehabilitation is located in Lake Charles, Louisiana. Rosewood offers skilled nursing care, rehabilitation and respite stay. The culture at Rosewood is focused on each resident’s physical, mental, emotional and spiritual wellness. We are committed to ensuring all the services and amenities at Rosewood enhance the way residents interact, engage and relax. Our community was designed to be a bright, inclusive environment with a team ready to support each resident on their unique journey. Residents are engaged throughout the day through meaningful programs and other proven techniques. Our goal is to create more rewarding days and uplift spirits by providing:
- Three delicious restaurant-style meals plus snacks served daily
- Social, educational and recreational activity programs
- On-site therapy services, including speech, occupational and physical therapy
- 24-hour staffing
- Scheduled courtesy transportation
- Beauty salon and barber
- Lounge area with big-screen TV
- Carefully manicured grounds
- Landscaped courtyard
- Fully equipped exercise room
- Activity center and game area
Are you interested in learning more about the services at Rosewood? Contact us today and set up a tour!